A Couple That Volunteers Together, Stays TogetherAugust 11, 2017
January Extreme Endeavors:10 Years of Extreme Community Makeover in 2018!January 18, 2018
A new year is upon us, and as with tradition, it’s time to reflect, set goals, and make commitments for the new year. This year, Denver Recycles encourages Denverites to make their 2018 New Year’s resolution to reduce their trash by recycling and composting even more! Doing so not only keeps our community and environment clean, it also supports Denver’s recycling and composting goal of keeping 34% of our waste out of the landfill by 2020. Currently, Denver recycles and composts about 21% of its waste. Let’s do better in 2018!
Below are some ideas for getting the year off to a great start.
GO GREEN. NEARLY 50% OF DENVER’S TRASH IS COMPOSTABLE.
- SIGN UP FOR DENVER COMPOSTS. The Denver Composts program is now offered city-wide and is perfect for keeping food waste, yard debris and non-recyclable paper out of your trash (and out of the landfill). Compost collection service is provided by the City for a small fee, and the green cart is emptied weekly.
- COMPOST CORRECTLY. Learn how and what can be composted in the Denver Composts program at DenverGov.org/Compost.
- DISCOVER THE MANY WAYS TO COMPOST. Find out more about all your composting options, including backyard composting, at DenverGov.org/Compost.
GO SMALL. REDUCE THE SIZE OF YOUR BLACK TRASH CART.
- DOWNSIZE YOUR TRASH CART. Your black trash cart comes in three sizes (35, 65 and 95 gallon). If you don’t need a big trash cart, there’s no reason to keep it. Downsizing to a smaller cart will save space around your home and encourage you to recycle and compost even more!
GO PURPLE. NEARLY 25% OF DENVER’S TRASH IS RECYCLABLE.
- MAXIMIZE RECYCLING. Brush up on the list of materials accepted in the Denver Recycles’ program at DenverGov.org/DenverRecycles. This way, fewer recyclable items will mistakenly be placed in the trash.
- INCREASE RECYCLING CAPACITY. Increase your recycling capacity by upsizing to a larger purple recycle cart. Many residents have 65-gallon purple carts that can be exchanged for larger, 95-gallon purple carts.
- DOUBLE YOUR RECYCLING CAPACITY. Double your recycling capacity by requesting a second recycle cart and recycling twice as much!